Roundovers are softened and curved profiles around the top or bottom corner of a border. You will find them on tabletops, desks and frames — generally on any border where a sharp corner is not desired. They are often created with roundover pieces fitted in a router, often in a ⅛-inch or 1/4-inch radius size. Roundovers also can be created by sanding, but they aren’t always as precise when done that way.

Chris Hill

A roundover is usually made round the top border of an exposed part.

The Virginia House

A roundover produces a cozy edge that will not jab someone whose arms are resting on a table.

Cristi Holcombe Interiors

The roundover with this coffee table has a slight raised profile at the top, creating an appealing detail.

See related